Spicy Creole Chicken served in Mashed Potatoes
Creole is a style of cooking that originated in Louisiana which consists of a unique blend of French, Portuguese, Spanish, Native American and African cuisines. It is nearly similar to itscousin Cajun, the only difference is that Cajun is more rustic style of cooking. The key ingredient to this cuisine style is what they call the “Holy Trinity” which is a mix of chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery.
Now for this dish we will be using a seasoning blend instead the “holy trinity” but the taste and essence will be the same as we are using dried herbs and spices that also came from the key vegetables itself. For the blend I adapted it from this site and here are the ingredients which I blended together using a food processor.
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano leaves
2 tbsp dried sweet basil
1 tbsp dried thyme leaves
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp celery seed
5 tbsp sweet paprika
1/2 tbsp salt
I used this blend to marinate my chicken to give it an authentic Creole taste. For this I paired it with mashed potatoes in light mushroom gravy and buttered corn and peas.
Ingredients (Spicy Creole Chicken)
8 chicken thighs, deboned
4 tbps of creole seasoning
Ingredients (Mashed Potatoes)
4 large potatoes (floury type, I used Agria)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup cream
70g butter, melted
1/4 cup parmesan, finely grated
Ingredients (Gravy with Mushrooms)
2 tbsp flour
3/4 cup chicken drippings (I save them when baking chicken)
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter
8 pcs farmers brown mushroom, sliced
Method (Spicy Creole Chicken)
- Marinate chicken in seasoning for at least a day.
- Grill chicken pieces for at least 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with gravy with mushrooms
Method (Mashed Potatoes)
- Clean and place potatoes to a large pot with water enough to cover the potatoes. Add salt and bring the water to a boil. Cook until really tender and this might take around 20 minutes.
- Drain then let it cook in an open rack, when cooled down, skin the potatoes then place on a deep dish then mash.
- Place mashed potatoes on a pot and start adding the butter, milk, cream and parmesan in really low heat. Mix thoroughly then season with pepper.
Method (Gravy with Mushrooms)
- Using a sauce pan add butter and mushrooms, brown the mushrooms ins medium heat.
- Now add the drippings, stock, wine and flour. Mix slowly in low heat until it thickens.
- Add butter and simmer for 5 minutes.
Now once you cooked them all plate them with mashed potatoes at the bottom, then place the grilled chicken and pour gravy on top. You can also add buttered vegetables of your choice.