Beef Brisket Noodle Soup is a Chinese dish of slowly braised savoury sweet beef served over thin noodles in a hot rich beef bone broth
- 3 large beef leg bones, cut in half
- 500 g beef brisket, diced
- 200 g beef tendons, diced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 1 bunch onion leaves, chopped
- toasted garlic
- 1 packet fresh yellow egg noodles
- 1 bunch pak choy
- 3 large red onions, 2 quartered and 1 finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- sesame oil
- 3 liters water
- In a large pot add 3 litres water, leg bones, beef tendons, 2 pcs quartered onions, black pepper corns, salt (adjust according to you liking). Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours
- Once cooked using a colander drain the liquid and reserve.
- Separate the boiled tendons and carve any ligaments you can get from the bone then set aside.
- In a pot add beef brisket and cooked tendons, soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, ginger, 1 liter of beef stock and salt (this should be a bit salty as normal as the flavour would come from this sauce). Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hour or until the beef is very tender and liquid should be reduced by then and the tendons would make the consistency thick and sticky.
- In another separate pot, boil the remaining beef stock together with onions, black pepper, 3 tbsp toasted garlic and fish sauce (according to the saltiness you like). Turn the heat off once the onions are cooked to the point of disintegrating. Using a strainer drain and reserve the liquid.
- In a separate pot boil water with dash of salt and blanch the pak choy. Drain then set aside.
- In a separate pot boil water and cook noodles for 3 minutes, drain then rinse with cold water.
- Boil another set of water and soak the cooked noodles then drain.
- In a bowl, place noodles and pak choy, then add soup, and 2 scoopful of the brisket with the sauce. Top it with 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp of toasted garlic and 1 tbsp of chopped green onions. Enjoy while its hot.