Chicken Pastel or Pastel de Pollo in Spanish, is the Filipino version of the Chicken Pot Pie sans the pie, usually made out of chicken with a thick sauce
- 800g chicken thighs, deboned and diced
- 3 pcs large pork sausages, cooked and sliced (In Philippines we use Vienna Sausage)
- 2 medium sized potatoes, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups farmers brown mushrooms, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 400ml can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- white pepper
- chopped parsley
- In a pot fry bacon pieces in butter, once brown remove and set aside.
- Now add garlic and onions then saute for a minute, then remove and set aside
- Now add chicken pieces and quickly fry until brown on all sides, remove then set aside.
- Add flour and mix well until it forms a roux.
- Add chicken stock mix well until there are no more lumps, then add chicken, pork sausages, potato, carrots, mushrooms, fried bacon, fried garlic, fried onions and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add milk bring to a boil and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with chopped parsley