Chicken and Shitake in Hoisin Sauce
Now lets do some freestyle cooking for today, what I am thinking of is combination of chicken and shitake mushrooms which is a great combination as they complement each others flavour. Now its just a matter of picking up a sauce that will be good for it and I guess hoisin sauce would do the trick, having that sweet, salty and aniseedy taste to it.
For this recipe we will cooking it in a high heat wok, so it will be really quick at max it will only take you 8 minutes, I iwll be also cooking the chicken seperately and by doing so I will not over cook the chicken and the juices are retained. Also in high heat vegetables cook quickly and retains that crisp.
So after 8 minutes of your time, enjoy this wonderful dish with freshly cooked rice.
400g chicken thighs, deboned and cubed
12 pcs squid balls, quartered
1 bunch garlic sprouts, julliened
2 medium carrots, julliened
1 1/2 cups dried shitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
1 thumb sized ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large red onion, sliced
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 cup chinese wine
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp fish sauce
freshly ground black pepper
- Place a wok in a high heat then add peanut oil, drop the chicken thighs then stir fry for a maximum of 2 minutes. Remove from wok then set aside.
- Now saute garlic, onion and ginger.
- Still in high head add squidballs and shitake mushrooms. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic sprouts and continue to stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add carrots then continue to stir fry for 1 minute.
- In a bowl dissolve cornstarch in chicken stock, then add chinese wine, fish sauce, hoisin sauce mix well then pour into the hot wok.
- Bring to a boil then add chicken back, give a good mix then turn heat off.