Last night our dinner was Fish Sinigang (Panga ng Hapuka) which definitely I will not bring to work for lunch as it would be messy eating it so I decided to just bring a not so fancy lunch which is bacon and lettuce sandwich. So this morning while my wife prepares for it I notice we dont have mayonnaise and I can’t eat a sandwich without some form of dressing and this one I guess would suit my tastebuds best, so the solution make one.
There are pros to making your own.
1. Its faster to make than going to the supermarket as long as you have the ingredients.
2. Its cheaper than buying one.
3. Also you will start to minimize the use of it as you know how much oil is needed to make one jar.
4. You can adjust the flavours according to your liking and you know what goes into it. Now in the case of this post I added a garlic twist to it as I love garlic flavour, this makes it a cross between mayonnaise and aioli.
Trust me if you make your own mayonnaise you will respect the use of it as around 80% of it is oil!!!, thats why its so yummy. So here it is freshly whipped.
2 egg yolks
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp powdered mustard
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper, finely ground
5 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups canola or sunflower oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1. In a mixing bowl place the egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, salt. Mix it with a hand mixer at high speed until it forms a thick texture.
2. Gradually add oil in small amounts while mixing in high speed, you will notice it will start to emulsify and thicken.
3. Continue adding oil gradually until finished, once the texture is like the supermarket bought mayonnaise add your garlic and black pepper and give it a final mix and make sure that the garlic and pepper is mixed well.