Afritada is a spanish inspired dish which can be cooked with pork, beef or chicken slowly simmered in tomato sauce and potato. This recipe is so simple thats why it is a popular dish in Philippines. Saute, add all ingredients together and simmer.
800g chicken thighs
200g button mushrooms, halved
1 green bell pepper or capsicum (thats what we call it here in NZ)
6 cloves garlic
1 medium red onion
1 big can tomato puree
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 small potatoes quartered
2 pcs carrots, sliced
1/2 cup water
4 pcs bay leaves
- Deep fry potatoes separately until golden brown. I do this so that when we add it to the dish it wont sip the sauce, and potato would have a different flavor and texture.
- On a separate pot saute garlic and onion in oil
- Add chicken and brown it slightly
- Add water, carrots, tomato puree and bay leaves
- Boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add fried potato, capsicum, mushroom and tomato paste and simmer for additional 5 minutes
- Season with salt, sugar and pepper.