Beef and Mushroom Gravy Stew
It’s a bit odd to see this dish in Chinese take-away and fast food here in New Zealand but yes they do serve this alongside different Asian dishes like Sweet and Sour Pork, Black Pepper Beef and Fried Noodles. I am pretty sure this is not Chinese in origin as I haven’t seen this served when I used to live in Hong Kong, I never even encountered it in Chinese restaurants outside of New Zealand but regardless of its origin I just wanted to share this simple recipe. All you need is beef, mushroom and if you have some readily available gravy then you’re good to go.
700g Beef Brisket
200 g button mushroom, cut in half
2 white onions, finely chopped
2 cups brown gravy
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup water
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
- Place flour in a plate then dredge beef pieces until it’s lightly covered.
- Melt butter in a heavy pan then brown beef on all sides. Remove beef from pan then set aside.
- Add garlic and onion then sauté until onions are soft.
- Add enough water until it barely covers the beef.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms and simmer in high heat for additional 15 minutes.
- Pour gravy, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes.