Copycat Kanin Club’s Vegetarian Delight
For many months now, I am in continuous search for those lesser known Filipino dishes and in line with that search I am also reading the menus of popular Filipino restaurants just to double check if I had missed some dishes that I haven’t posted yet. After that thorough exercise I discovered Kanin Club, while I haven’t tried their dishes yet, I try to recreate them basing on the description on the menu as well as the reviews I read about this place, hence we already had posted dishes like their Crispy Dinuguan, Sinigang na Sinangag and KC Turon. They all sounded really exciting as they are a fusion on different Filipino dishes, what’s even better is that even I haven’t tried the real thing when I made them at home it was a success, unbelievably phenomenal.
Today we will again make something from their menu called Kanin Club’s Vegetarian Delight, on their menu it was described as “banana blossoms, 3 kinds of mushrooms, and tofu, sautéed in vegetarian oyster sauce. It might just convince you to turn vegetarian.” It sounded similar to me because there is a nearly similar dish called Buddha’s delight and that nearly made me vegetarian, for a vegetable dish it was so tasty.
To help recreate this I also looked at the photos online to see how the end product look like. I was quite surprised at it was soupy, with those information in mind I am now confident I can recreate this at home and hopefully those of you who had tried the real thing try this as well so I know how it compares
- 8 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 12 pcs button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 425 g can straw mushrooms, drained and sliced in half
- 1 block firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup banana blossoms
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ cup water
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce or vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 small pcs shallots, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ground white pepper
- sea salt
- sesame oil
- In a soup pot heat oil then sauté garlic and shallots
- Pour the vegetable stock and bring it to a boil.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and banana blossoms then let it simmer in low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the button mushrooms and straw mushrooms then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix the tapioca starch, oyster sauce and dark soy sauce in water then pour it into the pot.
- Add the tofu blocks then bring heat to medium high, simmer for 5 minutes or until soup is thick.
- Season with sea salt and ground white pepper, drizzle some sesame oil on top then serve while hot.