Sarciadong Isda, Ampalaya at Tausi
I have been craving for Filipino style vegetables lately, more specifically Ilocano dishes so bear with me if you don’t see a lot of meat dishes but instead more its leafy counterparts. It is good to post native Filipino recipes nowadays specially now we have a more options on Asian groceries for Filipino ingredients here in Auckland and it’s the perfect timing for our post today since ampalaya (bitter gourd) is in season now.
Sarciadong Isda, Ampalaya at Tausi is a dish prepared with fried fish and ampalaya in a sauce of made with egg, tomatoes and fermented black beans. The fish I used on this dish is large mackerel which I asked my fishmonger to cut into slices but if you don’t prefer mackerel any fish can be used. I am not sure if non Filipinos would like this dish as eating bitter melon is quite an acquired taste, not even all Filipinos like this dish. Its bitter but for me in a good way, its savoury and delicious, definitely a mouth-watering dish at least for me.
- Slice ampalaya lengthwise, remove the seeds by scraping the middle with spoon then generously sprinkle lots of salt in the cavity you just made (this will reduce its bitterness). Set it aside while frying your fish.
- Season fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare a pan over stovetop on high heat. Add oil and once it’s hot enough pan fry fish until its golden brown on all sides. Remove fish from pan then set it aside.
- Rinse ampalaya in running water to remove salt, slice ampalaya thinly then wash it again. Drain then set it aside.
- Using the same pan remove but 2 to 3 tbsp of oil, sauté garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and cook in low heat until it soft.
- Add the ampalaya stir fry for a minute then add water bring to a boil uncovered then add the tausi, mashing some as you add them into the pan.
- Add the fried fish and continue to let it boil in high heat for 3 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Gently add the eggs on top and once it partly cooks, gently mix it into the sauce.
- Place spring onions to top then serve with hot with rice.