Lu Rou Fan
Lu Rou Fan is a type of rice dish made with marinated pork pieces slowly braised in soy sauce then topped with steamed rice. This dish is very popular in Taiwan, in fact it can be more popular than the Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup called Niu Rou Mien, it is also popular in China’s Fujian province. There are different ways to prepare this but the popular ones are the use of either cubed pork or minced pork.
It’s a simple dish nearly similar to the Filipino Adobo but with an Asian flavours to it due to the herbs used. Usually it is served with boiled eggs and blanched greens on a bed of fresh steamed jasmine rice.
- 600 g pork belly, cut into cubes
- 4 pcs hardboiled eggs, peeled
- 8 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch of Asian greens (bok choy, gailan, choy sum), blanched
- 1½ cup chicken or pork stock
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 3 pcs star anise
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ thumb sized ginger, sliced
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- fish sauce
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup of boiling water, set aside until soft. Slice the mushrooms then set it aside, keep the liquid.
- In a wok heat oil then brown pork pieces on all sides, once done remove from wok then set aside.
- Add the sugar into the wok and cook in medium heat until it caramelizes. Add the onions and ginger then continue to cook in low heat until onions are soft.
- Add the mushrooms, pork, Chinese cooking wine, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, stock and water bring to a boil.
- Add the star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns, lemon zest and hard boiled eggs, put in lowest heat then cover the wok. Simmer for 1½ hours while occasionally mixing, add water if it dries out.
- If it’s too saucy set heat to high and let the sauce thicken, once its thick taste and if it lacks saltiness season with fish sauce. Remove from heat the serve on top of freshly cooked white rice and blanched greens on the side.