Soft Tofu, Mince and Peas
Soft Tofu, Mince and Peas is a simple dish of tofu, minced meat, mushrooms and vegetables in a starchy egg gravy. I love ordering this dish back in those days when I was still in Malaysia, it was my go to side dish and almost had this everyday. Since then I never had one of them until now when it crossed my mind as I reminisce the old days and remember my favourite dishes I had in Malaysia.
Making this here in New Zealand is quite tricky, at least to me as the key ingredient egg tofu has proved to be elusive, I know its available as I had seen them before but when you needed it most it is the time where it suddenly disappears. So for our recipe today instead of using it I had used a similar tofu but in the form of a block, its less silky but this is the next best thing there is.
- 2 tube silken egg tofu or 2 blocks soft tofu, sliced
- 12 pcs straw mushrooms, sliced in half
- 200 g minced pork
- 2 cups frozen green peas, corn and carrot mix, thawed
- 2 pcs red chillies, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 egg
- white pepper
- In a wok lightly fry tofu in oil, drain then set it aside.
- Using the same wok, remove excess oil then sauté garlic.
- Add the pork mince then cook until light brown in colour.
- Add straw mushrooms then stir fry for a minute.
- Add the chicken stock, oyster sauce, light soy sauce and brown sugar, bring it to a boil.
- Add the tofu, mixed vegetables and simmer in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch in ½ cup of water then pour it on the boiling stock to thicken.
- Pour the egg and stir it gently, then add the spring onions, chillies and sesame oil.
- Season with salt and white pepper then serve.