Fried Okra is a dish popular in the American South made with okra dipped in buttermilk, coated with corn meal and or flour then deep fried then served with different sauces like ranch. It a nice side dish, appetizer or even a beer match to have, its diminutive size and pleasant but mild flavour is quite addictive.
The first time I saw this I was quite intrigued and never knew whether this concept will work or not, having lived all through my life with okras used on stew this was quite new to me. So after sourcing my ingredients and preparing them I was surprised on the results, it’s one of those things that was weird but it just works. How about you, did you find this dish weird? Will you ever try making one of this?
- In a container that you can cover combine together flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine okra and buttermilk together.
- Prepare a deep fryer and heat oil to 180C.
- Piece by piece place the dipped okra into the flour mixture, do not over crowd. Cover the container then shake to coat okra pieces.
- Gently place the coated okra into the deep fryer and cook until golden brown in colour. Remove from oil then drain. Serve while hot.