Spanish Meatballs with Clams, Chorizo & Squid
A lot of Filipino dishes have a close resemblance to the Spanish cuisine primarily because of our history, the use of tomato sauce, pork, chorizo, capsicums, sautéed garlic and onions are the evidences of the remnant past. Having said that most Spanish inspired dishes back home is a big hit on our dining tables like the Arroz a la Valenciana, Caldereta, Escabeche, Menudo and Pochero to name some.
Today we will be posting something similar, though it’s not specifically from the Filipino cuisine it has the elements of the Spanish cuisine that every Filipino would love. Our dish for today is the Spanish Meatballs with Clams, Chorizo & Squid which is a mixture of blended meatballs, chorizo, clams and squid cooked in white wine and tomatoes. Basically it’s a surf & turf but not the usual ones that is usually prepared with steak and prawns, this is even better.
It’s a dish full of flavour, the combination of the ocean flavours plus the garlicky hot chorizo sausages, tangy tomato and fruity wine is a concoction made in heaven. This dish can be enjoyed on its own, with a crusty bread or even a simple saffron rice.
- meatballs (ingredients below)
- 300g chorizo, sliced
- 300g squid, pineapple cut
- 400g clams
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup pork stock
- 2 - 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- handful parsley, roughly chopped
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 400g minced pork, 15% fat
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 small shallots, finely chopped
- 4 clove garlic. minced
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 egg
- In a pan melt butter then sauté shallots until soft.
- Add paprika and garlic then sauté further for a minute.
- Add the sherry then immediately after the breadcrumbs, stir to combine then turn heat off.
- Pour everything in a bowl then add the minced pork, mix it well with your hands then add the egg. Form into meatballs then set them aside.
- Using the same pan, wipe it with a paper towel then add a bit of oil and heat for pan frying.
- Fry meatballs for around 5 minutes just to lightly brown them on all sides. Once all meatballs are browned remove from pan then set them aside.
- Using the leftover oils, in the pan sauté garlic together with the chorizo. Cook for a minute in medium heat.
- Add the cayenne pepper then immediately pour in the white wine, pork stock and add the tomatoes, bring to a boil then add the meatballs and clams. Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes in high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium then add the squid and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.