Open Faced Sandwich of Spicy Pulled Pork and Poached Egg
Many people don’t take breakfast due to time constraints they have during mornings, I had the same habit when I was younger but as I grew older I see the importance of having it on a daily basis. Every day I cook breakfast early in the morning as I drive to work at 7:00 AM in the morning to be there at 7:30 AM and back home early in the afternoon and have more time with the sunlight (we are on flexible time schedule), this means I have to wake up every day at 5:40 AM to prepare breakfast for 15 minutes. This has been my routine and I liked it because I can eat properly in the morning and it makes me alert as I already have some physical activity before even going to the office.
So what do I prepare on a day to day basis? Well like I mentioned before I have already a year of recipes prepared so we just pick up that list for the week and buy then prepare them accordingly, this makes your grocery shopping efficient as you don’t have to buy unneeded ones and end up not being used. In this recipe we have breakfast and dinners covered where a specific menu scheduled for a day (yeah that’s my inner OCD working). This means breakfasts like this post today are planned so it can be prepared on an earlier time.
Making our recipe for today on the day of your breakfast will be impossible so I prepared it a day before so on the morning I will have it, it will be easy as spreading butter in your bread. Our recipe for today is Open Faced Sandwich of Spicy Pulled Pork and Poached Egg basically it’s a spicy pulled pork placed on a sandwich then topped with a poached egg. You can even use leftover pulled pork and just spice it up, I will leave you to your imagination. It’s a great breakfast item, definitely way much better than having a PBJ sandwich, what do you think?
- thick cut sliced bread
- poached eggs
- red onions, thinly sliced
- coriander, to garnish
- spicy pulled pork (recipe below)
- 2 kg boneless pork shoulder roast
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- juice from 2 limes
- juice from 1 orange
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl combine all Spicy Pulled Pork ingredients together apart from the pork, mix it well add the pork massaging it all over with the marinade making sure it is all covered.
- Place the pork and all of the marinade in a large heavy duty Ziploc bag and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place pork and marinade in a large Dutch oven, cover top it with aluminium foil then cover it with a lid. Place in a 160C preheated oven and let it roast for 3 hours or until pork is roast tender. Turn it halfway during the process then baste it occasionally with its own sauce. Remove from the oven then let it rest and cool for 30 minutes while covered.
- Once cooled down, using a folk pull meat apart and mix it together with the juices while doing so.
- Toast your bread, spread some mayonnaise on top then top it with pulled pork, sliced onions and poached egg. Garnish with coriander then serve.