Cheesy Chorizo Sausage Rolls
Sausage rolls is quite popular here in New Zealand, every potluck I go to there is a high chance that this pastry will show up. Having said that I had my fair share of the different versions of this pastry like chicken, beef, lamb, pork, mixed you name it I tried it. From all of these variations there are good ones but there are a lot of terrible ones especially when they use the low cost supermarket bought sausage meat where it does not resemble any meat at all, I feel like it’s filled with extenders. I also noticed that some of them are not seasoned enough hence most Kiwi drench this in tomato sauce effectively masking the supposed to be flavour of the sausage rolls. Today I said enough of this and I felt I have to make something spectacular for New Zealand, I had made a couple before but one of them is just the classic sausage rolls and another one with a Filipino twist hence they are not up to speed with my goal of making this amazing for Kiwis hence I am bringing up my ball game today and create this Cheesy Chorizo Sausage Rolls.
Cheesy Chorizo Sausage Rolls is not your average sausage rolls as these delicious creations are spiced up with chorizo meat and filled with a cheesy centre garnished with sesame seed this definitely gives tons of flavours to the usual stuff. The spices on the chorizo mixed with the average sausage meat definitely makes that $5.00 meat goo taste like a gourmet food, add cheese into the mix then it brings this to another level up especially when you enjoy them freshly cooked while the melting cheese is still oozing outs its way to the meaty crevices of your sausage mix. Trust me the result of this was phenomenal, since I made this I will never make the regular version again.
- 200g good sausage meat
- 200g chorizos, roughly chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- handful parsley, chopped
- ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
- sesame seeds
- cheddar cheese, sliced into 1 cm x 1 cm x 4 cm portions
- Combine sausage meat, chorizo, parsley, onion and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well until incorporated.
- Unroll puff pastry and place an amount of sausage mixture in the middle of the pastry.
- Place cheese on top of the sausage meat mixture leaving 2 cm space apart.
- Tightly roll the pastry around the meat mixture then seal the ends.
- Brush top with beaten eggs then sprinkle sesame seeds on top, lightly press seeds so they stick.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to chill, this makes it easier to individually slice.
- Slice into 6 cm pieces, making sure the cheese is in the middle away from the edges then bake in a 200C pre heated oven for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.