Copycat Sausage McMuffins
Believe it or not I love McDonalds Sausage McMuffins complete with eggs and cheese, in fact this is my favourite menu item in that Golden Arches restaurant. I remember back in my university days I always made sure I had this once in a week and be in McDonalds before 10:30 am that day I am having it. It’s the soft chewy bun with the spiced patty and melting cheese is what got me into this addiction, I just wondered whether I can recreate making this at home.
One day I decided and worn my creative hat in an attempt to do this at home but starting I made sure I ordered a Sausage McMuffin so the taste is still fresh on my palate. After finishing it all up we bought the ingredients and started to make it at home. Its surprisingly easy and most of the work done is with the patty. For the muffins I just use the ready-made ones but feel free to make your own, for the cheese I bought the cheddar squares and with the patty I used a mix of minced pork and sausage meat, infusing it with spices to get the flavour as near as it can.
I tried the patties in small sizes until I get the right texture and flavour, surprisingly the guess work was quick and in the small attempts I am happy with the results.
- 500 g minced pork (30% fat)
- 500 g sausage meat
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- English muffins
- sunny side up eggs
- sliced cheddar cheese
- tomato ketchup
- Combine all patty ingredients, divide into 8-10 evenly sized pieces. Form into balls then flatten to form your patties.
- In a frying pan add oil then cook patties for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked.
- Remove from pan then set aside.
- Heat you muffins preferably with a hotdog bun steamer, otherwise microwave each muffin for 20 seconds together with a damp paper towel. Place cheese on the bottom, then the sunny side up eggs topped with a patty. Serve with freshly cooked hash browns.