Chocolate Pomegranate Cupcakes
If black can be matched with any colour then chocolates is the black of the food world as it can be matched with any fruit. We all know it goes really well with strawberries, cherries, apples, grapes and even durian.
Chocolate and fruits is nothing new, in fact we have been dipping fruits in chocolates since the 1960’s when Toblerone started promoting this as inspired from the cheese fondue but most of the fruits we try are the mainstream ones how about the exotics? Dragon fruit, Passionfruit and Lychees to name some but how about pomegranate? That’s what we are trying to find out today.
Chocolate Pomegranate Cupcakes is our recipe for today, it’s simple, it looks great and most of all the flavour combination is amazing. So what is this cupcake? Well this mini treats are basically chocolate cupcakes infused with pomegranates topped with even more pomegranates through its butter frosting. If you know how to make simple cupcakes then you won’t have any issues in making this one. You can give this as a gift for Valentines, serve as a snack or dessert during your special dinner or just enjoy it on your own.
- 1 cup flour
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup hot water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine hot water and cocoa, mix well until free of lumps. Add the sugar, oil and vanilla mix it well, once incorporated add the eggs and continue to mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture while slowly mixing until everything is just barely combined.
- Place batter in muffin cups and fill to half of its depth, then bake in 180C pre heated oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven then let it cool.
- In a sauce pan mix together cornstarch, sugar, salt, water, egg yolk and pomegranate juice until smooth.
- Place saucepan in stove top and simmer in low heat while continuously mixing, cook until the mixture is thickened. Stir in butter, mix well then set it aside. Place in the refrigerator and let it completely chill.
- In a mixer beat butter until it’s light and fluffy, gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and salt. Continue to beat until it is smooth. Add the pomegranate molasses slowly then beat in high speed, continue until well incorporated and fluffy.
- Place filling in a piping bag then pipe roughly 1 tablespoon of the filling into the centre, alternatively you can place a hole from the centre in the middle to fill it up then re-top it with hole you cut out.
- Place frosting into another piping bag and pipe it on top of the cupcake.
- Top cupcakes with pomegranate seeds.