Homemade Copycat Zinger Burger
One of my life’s pleasure is this crispy deep fried, moist, and spicy hot chicken thigh fillets sandwiched on two soft burger buns with melting cheese, crisp lettuce and sriracha infused creamy mayonnaise, in short the Zinger Burger. I first had this way back in the Philippines when KFC first offered it, I instantly got hooked as I find the perfect combination of flavours and textures in a burger bun.
Here in New Zealand, this type of burger is quite different (or the recipe was changed) because back home I remember that KFC uses thigh meat which is tastier and moist, here they use chicken breast which I find it dry and does not have that much flavour. Hence I learned how to make them at home similar to how they do it back in the Philippines during the old days. While it is not an exact copy from the real recipe, I can guarantee that the flavour and texture is nearly similar if not better.
Having said that, I invite you to try this recipe and let me know your thoughts on using chicken thighs instead of the chicken breast or vice versa.
- 1 kg boneless chicken thighs, sliced into 1 inch thick pieces then gently pounded with the back of a cleaver
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chilli powder, add more if you prefer it spicier
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk, chilled
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 cups salted corn chips
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Burger Buns
- Cheese slices
- Mayonnaise (you can infuse this with some sriracha sauce)
- In a container that you can cover combine and mix well all marinade ingredients, cover then let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Combine all batter ingredients and mix until it’s even in consistency, it should be thick but still runny. Add more milk if needed.
- Place corn chips in a food processor, roughly grind for a few seconds do not pulverize it, texture should resemble bigger breadcrumbs. Mix in the breadcrumbs and place it in a plate.
- Dip chicken in the batter then roll it in the coating. Place in a flat container, do not stack together then place in the freezer for an hour.
- Prepare a deep fryer when oil hits 180C add the coated chicken and deep fry for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown and cooked inside.
- Prepare the buns by spreading some mayonnaise, then a cheese slice, then the freshly cooked chicken then top with lettuce. Serve while hot.