Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup a classic dish that everyone enjoys especially when it’s cold or you feel unwell, traditionally this dish is a clear broth often served with chunks of chicken, vegetables and noodles. Usually the chicken used for this soup were the old hens or free-range as their meat is tough but they taste better, hence making this takes a lot of patience during the old days as you have to boil it for longer period of time so the meat becomes tender and the flavours to come out.
I remember when I was a child when I was sick my mom always give me chicken noodle soup not the home made ones but the instant soup, I remember the brand was called “Royco“. It was a very popular brand in the Philippines during those times when the 2 minute noodles was still non-existent. Back then this is the next best thing to the home-made chicken noodle soup, it’s quite easy to make and kids love them.
Now you might be wondering why Chicken Noodle soup is usually given to sick people, and why do they say that it is a good cure for the common colds and flu? Well in the year 2000 Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Centre in Omaha conducted a study to find out the real reason. Beginning with his wife’s homemade recipe he gave this concoction to volunteers then later on their blood samples was tested and found out that dishes similar to this has anti-inflammatory properties that could lead to the ease from symptoms of illness. In 2007 this conclusion was negated and suggested it’s more of a placebo effect rather than real cure. Anyways for me regardless of its curative properties or not at the very least dishes like this contains a lot of vitamins, minerals and healthy nutrients, tasting good is just a plus.
- 3 pcs boneless chicken thighs
- 150 g pasta noodles (any leftover noodles you have will do)
- 1 dozen farmers brown mushroom, cut in half
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 litre good chicken stock
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- In a pot, add oil and brown the chicken pieces. Remove from pot then set aside.
- Now sauté garlic and onion, stir until onions turn soft and translucent.
- Add carrots, celery and mushroom, once the vegetables sweat stir fry for additional 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and the chicken then bring to a boil, lower heat then simmer for 25 minutes. Remove chicken from the pot then flake them, place back into the pot together with the pasta, bring back to a boil then simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk, season with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Serve while hot.