Spicy Pork and Mustard Green Soup
This Spicy Pork And Mustard Green Soup is a simple soup made out of minced pork, mustard greens with some red pepper flakes, it’s really easy to prepare, so easy its nearly as easy as opening the different packets of a fancy instant noodles. Ok I must be dreaming but honestly it might not be as easy as I initially mentioned but even a young kid can do this.
Well let me explain how it’s done, so today I will share a big tip that I use in my kitchen specially when cooking my soups and stews when I am in a hurry. Sometimes when I am lazy or in a hurry instead of sautéing my garlic and onions I just use the crispy fried shallots and garlic which you can buy in Asian shops, using this would save you heaps of time chopping or mincing them and it will be one less step. I also use stocks on soups and meat with some fatty parts as this brings a lot of flavour. Now having those in your pantry would be really helpful and perhaps you understand now why I can make this recipe below in no time, but if you love the usual way of doing things then go for it there’s nothing wrong on both techniques.
If you haven’t tried that method I suggest you do, that might be life changing idea for you and instead of buying takeaways you start cooking at home. Anyways in this recipe I partly used that technique, if you don’t want the hot and spicy element on this dish then you can omit that step and not bother sautéing at all.
By the way before you head over to the recipe do you know that Ang Sarap and Tuttle Publishing is giving away 2 books which contains this recipe book Easy Chinese Recipes plus your choice of one books (worth US$25.00 and below) from the Tuttle Publishing range Competition is open for 2 weeks and we accept entries worldwide, just fill in your details on this competition page to join.
What are you waiting for, join now to win this amazing recipe book plus a book of your choice!
- 350 g minced pork (25% fat)
- 200g rice noodles
- 1 bunch mustard greens, roughly chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup fried garlic
- ½ cup fried shallots
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns-, crushed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- spring onions, to garnish
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add oil then sauté ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, red pepper flakes and cumin. Sauté until really fragrant.
- Add minced pork and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add the chicken stock and 2 cups of water then bring it to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes then season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the mustard greens and continue to simmer for 3 minutes in low heat.
- Cook rice noodles according to packet instructions then drain.
- Divide bean sprouts in 4 bowls, do the same with the noodles.
- Pour soup with minced meat and vegetables into the bowl then garnish with spring onions and serve.