Key Lime Pie
Key lime pie is an American dessert made out of citrusy custard on a crusty pie shell topped with meringue. The custard traditionally is made out of egg yolks, condensed milk and key limes. Key lime pie was
created by a botanist named Jack Simons during the early 20th century in the Key West, Florida but its first formal mention as a recipe was from a ship salvager named William Curry, he was also known as Key West’s first millionaire.
According to William his cook he called “Aunt Sally” made the pie for him which might have been adapted from the recipe that local sponge fishermen made. During those days these fishermen stored food in their ships including the usual basic like canned milk, limes and eggs which have a long shelf life. These fishermen do not have access to ovens as well hence the original recipe does not call for baking and simply rely only on the chemical reaction that takes place when condensed milk and limes are mixed, making the mixture thick like a custard.
Today Key Lime pies are baked because nowadays consuming raw eggs can be dangerous and by doing so even thickens and hardens the custard component of this pie. Modern version also uses the egg whites as a meringue topping but some recipes just call for whipped cream to mellow down the strong tarty and sweet taste.
- 300 g Graham Crackers or Digestive biscuits
- 150 g butter, melted
- 400 g condensed milk
- 3 medium egg yolks
- juice of 4 limes
- 1 tbsp finely grated lime zest
- 300 ml cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- finely grated lime zest
- Place crackers or biscuits in a food processor and process to make crumbs.
- Remove biscuits in the process then place in a 9in pie pan, mix with melted butter and press mixture to the base as well as the side to stick and combine.
- Bake in a 180C for 10 minutes, remove from oven then let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl whisk egg yolks, add condensed milk then continue to whisk for 3 minutes.
- Add lime zest and juice and whisk again for 3 minutes.
- Pour egg and milk mixture into the base then put back into the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 180C.
- Remove pie from oven, carefully remove it from the pie pan then let it cool and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once chilled, whip together cream and icing sugar then dollop on top of pie, drizzle finely grated lime zest then serve.