Egg Fried Rice
Sometimes normal steamed rice is just boring especially when you serve it with dishes with no sauce like grilled meats and steamed vegetables, everything will taste bland unless you change your rice to have some flavour but not over the top like those fancy paella or mixed meat and vegetable fried rice. This is where a simple rice like Java rice, sinangag, butter herb rice or this egg fried rice comes into play, they are not plain and have some flavour but because of its simplicity it does not overpower you main dish.
Egg Fried Rice is a type of fried rice mixed with scrambled eggs and sometimes vegetables like green peas, corn and spring onions. It’s a common rice dish served on Chinese restaurants in fact this type of fried rice is the base for most fried rice recipes. Its quick, it’s easy and a delicious alternative to that usual rice you always have.
- 5 cups cold leftover rice
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic until it turns golden brown.
- Add rice and corn, bring heat to high and continue to stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Push the rice on the sides of the wok to make a well in the middle then pour the eggs together with sesame oil, cook eggs until nearly dry then quickly mix it with the rice mixture.
- Add the spring onions and light soy sauce, stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.