Guest Post : Maureen Shaw from Orgasmic Chef featuring Foil Packet Potatoes
If you want to have a Foodgasm then now is the right time for it as our guest blogger today definitely delivers orgasmic home cooked recipes right at your browser, let me introduce you Maureen Shaw from Orgasmic Chef.
Unlike some of the food bloggers who have degree in culinary arts or is working as a chef, Maureen, like me, don’t have those but instead we both have the passion to cook good food and make it look good. That alone I guess is better than most degrees you can get, a product of love for food. Not convinced, well have a look at these pavlovas, these crispy skinned slow roasted pork belly or even these creamy panna cotta with poached pears.
These are just samples of what she can make, just imagine being invited in her table. I guess it would be one heck of an experience and the term “Orgasmic” would be the best way to describe them. While not all of you may be invited to try her dishes, you can definitely make them easily at home using her tried and tested recipes like this one that she will be sharing today the humble but delicious Foil Packet Potatoes.
When Raymund asked if I’d like to do a guest post, I jumped at the chance. What a great blog and the food he puts on his table is nothing less than outstanding. Most of his recipes can be made by anyone and they’re all delicious. I’ve tried several and we were pleased with them all.
These potatoes are easy to make and go really well with pork chops. They might go well with other things but when I’m asked for foil potatoes, I know the next words are, “with pork chops?” I coat and bake my chops and while they’re baking, I toss in a foil packet of potatoes. I do the potatoes first because they take a few minutes longer and then I get the chops ready for the oven.
Now you might be looking at these and thinking they don’t look very orgasmic and perhaps that’s so but wait until you put a forkful of these potatoes in your mouth. You’ll be glad you spent 10 minutes putting these packets together.
- Four pieces of foil long enough to hold the potatoes and fold over to seal - sprayed or brushed with oil,
- 4 large potatoes sliced thinly. (I used a mandolin slicer)
- ½ a medium sized onion sliced thinly
- 2 pieces of bacon, gently fried enough to cook through (not crispy)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup cream
- salt and pepper
- Put one piece of foil over the other and spray or brush with oil (you'll have two packets)
- Leaving space at the top and bottom to fold, layer the potatoes, overlapping as you go. Every second layer, sprinkle some onions on top and continue to the bottom. You'll use ½ the sliced onions for each packet.
- Sprinkle with ½ the cheese and half the bacon over the potatoes and then half a tablespoon of butter.
- Pour ½ the cream over the potatoes and then season with salt and pepper.
- Pull the long side edges over and fold to seal, and then do the same with the short edges.
- Place in the oven at 180C/350F for 35 minutes. Open the packets and put back in the oven at 200C/400F for a few minutes to brown. (not necessary, I just think they look better)