Stuffed peppers is a baked or broiled dish where peppers are stuffed with different ingredients such as meats, vegetables, cheese, fruits, rice and any combination of all. Any pepper can be used and it differs based on the culture like the Caribbean’s do it hot while the Americans tend to do it milder.
For today we will be making it milder, in fact it will be more on the sweet savoury side so we will be using some yellow and orange capsicums / bell pepper. We will then fill it with rice like how the Mediterranean region does it as well as minced beef to make it a complete meal. We will also be adding a mixture of mozzarella and parmesan cheese to make it creamy and give a different dimension in texture.
- 700 g premium minced beef
- 1½ cups cooked rice
- 3 yellow capsicums / bell peppers
- 3 orange capsicums / bell peppers
- 1 400g Italian Style chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- handful chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare your capsicums by cutting the tops off and removing the seeds and cores. Thinly slice the bottom part to have a flat surface and poke 4 holes below so juices can go out from the bottom.
- In a pan add a small amount of oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the beef and cook until brown in colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, cayenne pepper, Parmigiano-Reggiano flat-leaf parsley then stir and cook for 5 minutes until mixed well.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat then scoop out mixture into the peppers, place in a deep baking dish then cover tightly with foil then bake for 10 minutes in a 190 C preheated oven
- Remove the foil cover, generously sprinkle tops with mozzarella cheese then bake about 15 minutes longer or until tops turn golden brown.