Matcha and Adzuki Bean Roll Cake
You have seen or ever tried green tea ice creams, green tea frappes, green tea chocolates, green tea cookies and even green tea brownies? Well if you think you tried them all then let me introduce to you the green tea roll cake. Green Tea or Matcha and Adzuki Bean Roll Cake is a Western inspired roll cake made out of popular Japanese ingredients, the matcha and adzuki. Base ingredients are similar to sponge cake with the addition of matcha.
Matcha unlike other teas is in powder not dried leaf form, it is made from shade grown tea leaves also used to make gyokuro. Like I mentioned the tea leaves used in making matcha are covered from direct sunlight in effect slows down its growth and promotes increased production of chlorophyll giving it a really nice tint of green. Like any tea leaves it is rolled out before drying making gyokuro, it is then further processed to dry to the point that it crumbles where it is veins and stems are removed and finally stone ground to create a fine bright green powder.
I know the process seems easy but in reality it’s quite a complex process, imagine it can take up to one hour to grind these dried tea leaves to have 30 grams of matcha.
Matcha nowadays is not just used for drinking teas but it evolved to be used as a flavour and to colour food items like mochi and noodles, it is now even used ice creams and cake and this one is one good example of it. Like any other cakes or desserts we usually match them with some sort of drink and since tea is infused in this light dessert cake what would be the best drink to pair with it? Well tea is out of the question and definitely it’s odd to pair tea with coffee so we are left with something you might not think of but trust me it is a really good match, the dessert wine. Yes you had seen it right we are matching this with wine like how Italian’s enjoy their desserts.
I know it’s an odd combination but Eastern and Western cuisine matchup is nothing new, remember we tried Sake and Cheese tasting before why not an Asian cake with dessert wine and for our recipe today a Dessert Cabernet or Port would be a good match. For other dessert wine match suggestions have a look here..
- In a bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, set aside
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks until light in colour, gently add the sugar and matcha tea powder until well combined.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt then add it to the egg yolk mixture, mix in low speed and do not over mix.
- Fold in the egg whites in the flour mixture then pour batter into a 15in x 10in baking paper lined baking pan or similar and spread it evenly. Place in a 200c preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Place on a clean surface lined with baking paper then spread adzuki bean paste evenly in the surface.
- Roll the cake by using the baking paper as a support, let it cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.