Spicy Tofu and Prawn Ramen
One of my favourite instant noodles is that Korean brand called Nongshim Shin Ramyun, I love it because it’s hot but not too much that I can’t handle, the texture of the noodles is also good, it’s quite chewy compared to others, it also packs a lot of flavour. Now I am attempting to make a homemade version inspired by that brand because sometimes you are craving for something much better.
I don’t speak Korean so I don’t know what’s in the ingredients list from the back of the packet but one thing for sure I can taste some mushrooms and Kombu that instant noodles so I will be using those as some of the base flavours alongside some help with dashi and seafood stock. I will be getting the heat and colour from chili paste but you can also use your own chili concoction by blending some fresh ones.
The result was amazing hence I am sharing this to you, if you love spicy dishes then try making this one or even better whip up something on your own and share it here.
Before you go to the recipe, Ang Sarap and Tuttle Publishing is giving away 3 books which contains this recipe book the Adobo Road plus your choice of 2 books (worth US$20.00 and below) from the Tuttle Publishing range. Competition is open for 2 weeks and we accept entries worldwide, just fill in your details on this competition page to join.
What are you waiting for join now to win the book of your choice!
- 300 g ramen noodles
- 15 pcs large prawns
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 1½ cup of boiling water and sliced (reserve liquid)
- 200 g soft tofu block, sliced into cubes
- spring onions, chopped
- soft boiled eggs
- Slightly undercook the ramen noodles using the packet instructions, rinse in running cold water, drain then set aside.
- In a soup pot add oil then sauté garlic and onions. Once onions are soft add the ginger and chilli paste, cook until really fragrant.
- Pour the dashi, seafood stock, reserved mushroom liquid, shiitake mushrooms and Kombu, let it boil and simmer in low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the prawns and tofu then gently simmer for 2-3 minutes or until prawns are cooked. Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper. Add the sesame oil then turn heat off.
- Prepare a potful of boiling water then using a noodle colander, briskly dip ramen noodles to reheat them.
- Place noodles in a bowl, pour soup on noodles together with some shiitake, tofu and prawns, top it with sliced spring onions and serve with soft boiled egg.