Lamb Surf and Turf
Its mid-summer now here in New Zealand and the best way to enjoy a meal at this moment is by grilling outdoors that is why today we will be grilling some lamb, prawns and asparagus and serve it in a bed or creamy mashed potatoes with some mushroom and red wine jus.
Sounds posh, don’t worry it’s not most of the ingredients below can be found in your pantry and this is really easy to prepare all you need is some outdoor grill and a nice lawn to enjoy your feast.
Before you go to the recipe, Ang Sarap and Tuttle Publishing is giving away 3 books which contains this recipe book the Adobo Road plus your choice of 2 books (worth US$20.00 and below) from the Tuttle Publishing range. Competition is open for 2 weeks and we accept entries worldwide, just fill in your details on this competition page to join.
What are you waiting for join now to win the book of your choice!
- 200 g farmers brown mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- ½ cup red wine
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 4 large potatoes (floury type, I used Agria)
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup cream
- 70g butter, melted
- ¼ cup parmesan, finely grated
- 2 lamb racks (5 rib portions each), sliced in between the ribs
- 15 medium sized prawns, shelled
- 2 bunches asparagus
- freshly ground black pepper
- chilli flakes
- olive oil
- In a sauce pan melt butter then add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the flour and cook until it forms a roux.
- Add the remaining ingredients then bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Using a hand blender blend the mixture until its smooth in consistency simmer for 3 more minutes then serve.
- Clean and place potatoes to a large pot with water enough to cover the potatoes. Add salt and bring the water to a boil. Cook until really tender and this might take around 20 minutes.
- Drain then let it cook in an open rack, when cooled down, skin the potatoes then place on a deep dish then mash.
- Place mashed potatoes on a pot and start adding the butter, milk, cream and parmesan in really low heat. Mix thoroughly then season with pepper.
- Season lamb with salt and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle some olive oil then set aside.
- Season prawns with salt, freshly ground black pepper and chilli flakes, drizzle some olive oil then set aside.
- Prepare a grill then cook lamb, prawns and asparagus. Place mashed potatoes in a plate then top it with 2-3 pieces of lamb, 5 pcs of prawns and some asparagus then serve.