Ćevapi or ćevapčići is a type of Kebab made out of grilled minced meat or pork, beef and or lamb served in with a flat bread with chopped onions, sour cream and ajvar (red bell pepper relish). This dish is popular in South Eastern European countries and considered to be the national dish in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as in Serbia.
Basically this dish is a variation of a kebab but instead of meat chunks or sliced grilled meat, minced meat is used. Preparation is quite simple as well but that does not mean it tastes lesser, in fact I love this dish.
- 500 g minced pork (30% fat)
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp teaspoon paprika
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 large red capsicum / bell peppers
- 1 small eggplant
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped white onions
- sour cream
- flat bread / pita
- In a bowl using your hands combine all sausage ingredients until well combined.
- Form into small sausages roughly the same size of a large thumb.
- Cook in grill roughly for 15 minutes of until meat is cooked.
- In a charcoal grill place the red bell peppers and eggplant, cook until lightly charred on all sides.
- Remove the charred skin of the peppers and eggplants, remove also the seeds and stem of the peppers.
- Place peppers, eggplant, garlic, oil, vinegar and salt then pulse until finely chopped.
- Place vegetables in a saucepan and simmer in medium-low for 30 minutes while occasionally stirring. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
- Place sausages, flat bread, chopped onions, sour cream and ajvar in a plate then serve.