Popcorn Chicken is a recipe made out of bite-sized deep fried breaded chicken pieces served in a variety of dips like barbecue sauce, ranch dressing and tomato sauce to name some. It was created by Gene Gagliardi, a food technologist and is marketed and popularized by KFC.
I love this as a snack and had tried this since I was in the Philippines around early 2000’s, it’s very handy and easily consumed like a popcorn hence the name. Since then I just bought them at KFC but my daughter had asked me for the longest time to make a homemade version, this was the day and she was excited. As I served it she told me this was the day she was waiting for and she was waiting for more than a year now, I laughed heavily but was also touched as she never forgot that promise that I will make this one day.
Before you head over to the recipe today don’t forget we are running a competition for a week and were giving away some Air Wick Prize pack, all you need to do is send your details through this page (Open only to New Zealand and Australian residents). Join Now!
- Season chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper, place in a non-reactive bowl and pour buttermilk. Mix well and let it marinate for at least 4 hours.
- In a large container with cover combine flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and salt, mix well.
- Piece by piece add the chicken pieces, cover the container then shake to coat the chicken evenly. Set aside.
- Prepare a deep fryer with enough oil then deep fry chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place cooked popcorn chicken in a paper lined plate to remove excess oil then serve with barbecue sauce.