Ginataan is one of the basic cooking process in the Philippines where ingredients are cooked in coconut milk. Recipes can vary from desserts/snacks like the ginataang kamoteng kahoy and ginataang halo halo and even main dishes like this Ginataang Manok recipe we have for today.
Ginataang Manok is a chicken stewed in coconut milk together with green papaya and vegetable greens like chilli leaves and/or moringa leaves. Basically the process is like cooking tinola but instead of chicken stock or water coconut milk is used. You will also notice it has lots of ginger as that gives the zing as well as the fresh taste that cuts well with the creamy coconut milk.
A really nice recipe to make specially if you are looking for chicken soup alternatives, it has all the elements but definitely better and bolder in taste.
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken stock and 1 cup of coconut milk then bring it to a boil. Simmer in low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the remaining cup of coconut milk, long green chili and green papaya then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the bok choy and coconut cream then simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper then serve.