Blueberry and Custard Danish
Sometimes it pays for you to have some frozen puff pastry in the freezer, all you need is some jam and custard and you’re on your way to a really good but simple freshly baked Danish pastry. You can also use fresh fruits or even savoury ingredients like vegetables and cheese.
For today we will be making some Blueberry and Custard Danish, and like the name suggest it is made out of puff pastry topped with creamy custard and sweet blueberry jam.
- ½ cup Blueberry Jam
- 2 sheets Frozen Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg, Lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 8 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mug combine milk and vanilla, heat in the microwave (do not boil)
- In a saucepan whisk together egg yolk, corn flour and sugar until well combined.
- Pour hot milk in over the egg yolk mixture while constantly whisking.
- Place saucepan over low heat and cook until custard thickens. Set it aside and let it cool.
- Divide one sheet of pastry into four pieces, you can fold them or just use it as it is. I will let you use your creativity or refer to this one. Place pastries in a baking paper lined baking tray, put two table spoons of custard on top then one tablespoon of blueberry jam on top of the custard. Brush exposed pastry sides with beaten egg.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 10 minutes or until sides turn golden brown.