I guess you had seen a lot of this before where chocolate wafers like KitKat are used to adorn cakes but most of them uses chocolate button candies like M&M or Smarties, well this post we will change it a bit by using marshmallows instead of chocolates. Using marshmallows effectively makes it less sweeter but also makes it less expensive which helps if your are on a budget but want the same effect as its popular counterpart, it will also be good with pink themed parties like your daughter’s birthday.
Apart from its looks there’s nothing much going on with this cake, it is not really that hard to make but the visual effect it imparts to your visitors more specifically kids is priceless.
For our base we will be using some mud cake hence my wife and daughter named it Mud Mallows, it is a good base as the thick ganache holds the chocolate wafers together which is very helpful when you are building those wafer sides having said that nothing is stopping you to use any base you want.
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 250g butter, cubed
- 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- ⅔ cup thickened cream
- Chocolate wafers
- Mini marshmallows
- In a large saucepan melt butter in medium heat, once melted add chocolate, sugar and water. Cook in low heat while constantly mixing for 5 minutes or until smooth. Set it aside and let it cool.
- Once chocolate mixture is cooled down add eggs then stir to combine.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder then add into the chocolate mixture. Place in a baking paper lined 9 in round pan then bake in a 180C oven for 1½ hrs or until a cake tester inserted in the centre has moist crumbs sticking to it. Remove from oven then let it cool.
- Prepare your chocolate ganache. Combine chocolate ganache ingredients together in a saucepan then cook in low heat while constantly stirring for 5-6 minutes or until smooth. Place in a refrigerator for 30 minutes or until mixture is thick and ready for spreading.
- Remove cake form pan then place into a cake stand. Spread the chocolate ganache on top and sides of mud cake then carefully place chocolate wafers on the side. Once all sides are covered with chocolate wafers, using a ribbon or a thick yarn tie it around to prevent it from falling down. Place in the refrigerator and let it cool.
- Pour marshmallows on top before serving.