Steamed Cream Dory in Light Soy Sauce

Steamed Cream Dory in Light Soy Sauce

Sometimes steamed fish can taste bland and boring, as this cooking method is quite tricky to incorporate good flavours with a very delicate ingredient. There are also few good recipes for steaming fish and the only ones I can remember on the top of my head is the Asian style steamed fish and the French papillote (well this is a different steaming method) now let’s add something to that mix the Steamed Cream Dory in Light Soy Sauce. Cream Dory works great on this one but any white fleshy fish would be great.

How about you do have any steamed fish recipe to share? Let us know.

Steamed Cream Dory in Light Soy Sauce

Serves: 3
Fish
  • 3 pcs cream dory fillets, sliced
  • ½ inch ginger, sliced into strips
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
Light Soy Sauce
Garnishes
  • Sesame oil
  • Fried Garlic
  • Spring Onions, chopped
  1. Rub fish fillets with salt and pepper.
  2. Place a wax or baking paper to line the steamer, leave some vents on the sides (this prevents fish from sticking) then place fish on top of it. Top fish with some ginger slices then steam for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked. Set it aside.
  3. Combine all Light Soy Sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring it to a boil then turn heat off.
  4. Place fish in a deep dish then pour sauce over it, drizzle sesame oil on top then garnish with Fried Garlic and Spring Onions.

1. Looks so delicious!! I love lightly steamed and flavored fish!

I don’t know that I’ve ever eaten steamed fish, and I’ve eaten a lot of fish. This sounds very good though. Tonight I’m making your cucumber salad. Can’t wait!

3. Very tasty Raymund – I make a recipe somewhat similar to this – you have just reminded me I haven’t made it in ages!

4. suituapui says:

We have frozen fish fillet – dory here but it has a smell and the texture is jelly like. Most people do not like it. But there’s a local fast food franchise that claims to use New Zealand dory – this one’s very very nice. My girl’s favourite!

5. Yum. I adore beautifully cooked fish with an Asian twist…… and so simple too. Thanks Raymond.

6. Love the light flavors in this dish. We eat steamed fish a lot at home and usually make it with usual Cantonese method but the addition of a little brown sugar and oyster sauce make is even better.

7. Light yet flavorful when you cook it right! I love Asian steamed fish!

8. judypingks says:

Hello po. Just wondering what is the cream dory called locally in NZ? Is it the Hoki Fillet?

• Raymund says:

Its also called cream dory but very rare in NZ as they are imported and frozen, haven’t seen a fresh one. You can find them once in a while in Asian fishmongers but if you’re really having a hard time you can replace it with Basa fillets, the texture and taste are nearly the same

9. lucy says:

Why are some people saying that cream dory is a fake fish? Is it because (maybe) it’s competing with Nabahita, another fish good for fillet making? I like it because it looks clean and not smelling like most fish do.,

10. fedhz says:

i tried your recipe, sir Raymund. Ang sarap! will be a follower of you na. I posted this on my tumblr.

11. missdess says:

Will try this later for dinner 🙂 My only dilemma is the wax or baking paper.. can I use the foil as replacement?

12. Lovely recipe and i use it often but sometimes im too busy to steam the fish so i slowly braise it in the sauce and its just as good and saves me lots of time and washing up!!