As I had mentioned before Philippines does not have a lot of salad type dishes and most of it are consumed either as a side dish or appetizer rather salad entrees due to the strong salty and sour flavours. This dish is no different, Ensaladang Talong or Eggplant Salad is a very sour salad made out of grilled eggplants, tomatoes and onions. It is usually consumed as an accompaniment to grilled meats and seafood, not just it adds a different dimension to the flavours when paired with meats it also acts as a palate cleanser attributed by its sour taste.
So with your next grilled meat or barbecue dish try this one out it is a match made in heaven.
- 3 pcs Chinese eggplant
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium sized white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shrimp paste (bagoong) or use sea salt for vegetarian option
- 1 medium sized red chilli, sliced
- ¾ cup coconut vinegar or white vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the eggplants in half crosswise then grill until cooked. Cool down then using a spoon scrape off the flesh from the skin. Roughly chop then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix everything together.
- Place on small serving plate then serve.
If you can’t find bagoong in your place you can easily order them at Amazon
- Kamayan Sauteed Shrimp Paste, Regular, 8.8 Ounce
- Barrio Fiesta Bagoong ( Shrimp Paste ) (3 bottles)
- Ginisang Bagoong Barrio Fiesta-spicy 8.85 oz
- Dagupan Salted Shrimp Fry (Bagoong Alamang) Pack of 3