Chicken In Creamed Corn Gravy
During my assignment in Hong Kong I remember we always either have Yam Cha, Roast Duck or visit to Mang Ambo’s for lunch, but for days we don’t, we opt in for lunch box orders. During those days I notice one thing, my workmates always order in this specific restaurant that specializes in a combo of rice and fried chicken that is drenched in different gravies of your choice. The ones that I can remember are mushroom gravy, black pepper sauce, sweet tomato sauce and this recipe which is corn gravy. These lunchboxes are different from the common ones as the chicken is cooked just before they deliver so it’s still smoking hot when you open that styro box. This type of recipe is popular in Hong Kong and you can have an option of using different meats like fish, beef, pork and chicken, most of the fast food and cafe’s offer this creamed corn sauce topped over piping hot rice.
A very quick and easy way to prepare your chicken, and if you are already tired and bored with the traditional fried chicken then this is good option for you.
- 600g chicken thigh fillet
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups corn kernels, best to use fresh ones
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- spring onions, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- oil for deep frying
- In a sauce pan combine together corn, chicken stock and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, if using fresh corn simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix water and 1 tbsp cornstarch together then pour into the sauce pan. Simmer until sauce thickens
- Slowly pour 1 beaten egg into the sauce pan while lightly stirring to form strands.
- Add sesame oil then season with salt. Remove from heat then set aside
- Prepare a deep fryer or wok with enough oil for deep frying.
- Using the back of the cleaver pound chicken fillets until it’s flattened and even in thickness.
- Season chicken fillets with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
- Place and mix together flour and ½ cup cornstarch in a bowl with cover set aside.
- Place 1 beaten egg in a shallow dish then dip chicken fillets one at a time.
- Place chicken inside the bowl with flour mix one or two at a time then cover and shake to coat chicken evenly.
- Deep fry chicken until cooked then place in a paper lined towel to remove excess oil.
- Pour corn sauce on top then garnish with spring onions then serve.