“I never thought a pasta filled with vegetables would be really delicious”, that is my initial reaction when I had a primavera before as the one I tried was really tasty and the vegetables were fresh and crisp.
Pasta Primavera is an Italian pasta loaded with vegetables, having said that there is no real rules on what vegetables you can use in this dish and it all widely varied depending on the local vegetables available on your region. Commonly broccoli, zucchini, onion and mushrooms are the main stay together with a creamy cheesy sauce made out of a mixture of cream, Parmigiano-Reggiano and/or Pecorino-Romano.
- 250 g spaghetti no 4, vermicelli pasta or angel hair
- 1 small broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup snow peas, trimmed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- dozen cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup white wine
- ⅓ cup cream
- ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- ¼ cup Pecorino-Romano, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- Cook your pasta according to packet instructions, drain then set aside.
- Boil the broccoli and carrots for 1½ minutes, add the snow peas and boil for 30 more seconds
- Drain the vegetables and drop them into a bowl of ice water, once the vegetable are cool, drain it again then set them aside.
- In large skillet heat butter then sauté garlic and onions.
- Pour in the chicken stock and white wine then bring it to a boil.
- Add the cream, pasta and vegetables. Stir to combine then simmer for a minute or until vegetables are hot.
- Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino-Romano, stir again to stir to combine.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then garnish with cherry tomatoes before serving.
You can buy Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino-Romano from Amazon, here are some links:
- Imported Pecorino Romano – 3 Pounds
- Locatelli Pecorino Romano – 5 Pound Club Cut (5 pound) by igourmet
- Locatelli Pecorino Romano – 1 Pound
- Parmigiano Reggiano Top Grade – Pound Cut (1 pound) by igourmet
- Parmigiano Reggiano Top Grade- 3 Pound Club Cut (3 pound) by igourmet
- Parmigiano Reggiano Stravecchio (3 Year Top Grade) – Pound Cut (1 pound) by igourmet