Chicken katsu is a type of katsu made out of chicken breast fillets that is simply seasoned with salt and pepper then is fried to achieve a crispy consistency. Katsu or katsuretsu was originally considered a type of yoshoku Japanese version of Western cutlet and it was invented in the late 19th century, first versions of this fried dish was made out of beef. The pork was then invented in 1899 and overtook the popularity the original beef version at a restaurant called Rengatei in Tokyo, still known simply as katsu then in the 1930’s it was named to “tonkatsu” (pork katsu).
Since then several variations came up like the Chicken katsu (chicken), Menchi katsu (minced meat), Hamu katsu (ham) and the beef version was then named as Gyu katsu. Katsu can be served in many different ways, some of the popular ways are serving it as a sandwich filling, drenched in a Japanese curry, in a rice bowl with egg (katsudon) or simply with rice, miso soup and tsukemono (pickled vegetables).
Like most of the Japanese dishes preparation is really simple, you don’t need much time in making this one so this is a good dish to whip up for those who are always busy.
- 6 pcs chicken breast cutlets
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
- tonkatsu sauce
- Tenderize chicken meat by lightly pounding it with the blunt edge of a cleaver.
- Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Individually drench chicken cutlets in flour, dip in the beaten egg then coat with panko. Set aside and do the same with the remaining chicken cutlets.
- Using a deep fryer, heat oil to 160C, and deep fry chicken for a few minutes until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels then serve with tonkatsu sauce.
You can buy your Panko bread crumbs in Amazon, here are some links
- Sushi Chef Panko (Japanese Bread Flakes), 8-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6)
- Roland Whole Wheat Panko Bread Crumbs, 7-Ounce (Pack of 6)
- JFC Panko Bread Crumbs, 12-Ounce Packages (Pack of 6)
- Kikkoman Panko Bread Crumbs 2 Pound Box