This chicken wings contains only 3 ingredients but trust me its way much better than your fried chicken. While eating this you would not believe that this is baked and not fried as it is so crispy on the outside and very juicy from the inside.
So what is the secret?
Egg whites, baking soda and salt. Basically these are tried and tested concepts applied into one dish.
Let’s start with the egg whites, in Chinese cooking coating something with this is an old technique to keep delicate meats and ingredients tender, velvety and juicy. Baking soda and salt on the other hand is not just there for flavour but also to give that extra crispiness which gets its concept from roast pork with skin on where we usually rub the skin with salt to achieve a nice crackling. Drying it also helps a better crispier texture hence we leave it uncovered in the fridge to evenly dry it out.
Before we start, definitely a good chicken like this needs a good companion so we will pair them with some Korean Style dip as well.
- 1½ kg chicken wings
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- In a bowl combine together egg whites, baking soda and sea salt.
- Add the chicken, mix until everything is coated then let it marinate for 6 hours.
- Prepare a wire rack brushed with oil, place it on top of a dripping pan then arrange your chicken on top. Place it in the refrigerator and leave it there for 24 hours uncovered, this will make sure the chicken is completely dried prior to baking.
- Place rack in the middle of a 235C preheated oven then bake for 30-35 minutes or until skin is crispy. During the baking process flip the chicken every 10 minutes until it’s cooked.
- Remove from oven then let it cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.
- Combine dip ingredients together then server with chicken.