Pollo Loco Chicken
The first time I had this was back in the Philippines in SM Megamall, I still remember how it caught my attention because the image of flame grilled vibrant yellow coloured chicken in front of their restaurant is still vivid in my memories. Grilling chicken shown on display in their establishment is such a good marketing strategy, it just makes you want to have one. I haven’t tried this for a very long time and now I am craving for it, I never knew its ingredients until now when I was researching on how to make one, in fact I thought it was basted in butter before because of the yellow colour and the way this tasted in Philippines is citrusy buttery unlike the ones in US.
If you are like me before who did not have any idea what is the marinade behind this Crazy Chicken then it is a combination of lime/lemon, fruit juices, garlic and different spices, it is also flame grilled to give it a different taste. Continuous basting of the chicken gives it the colour as well as the required flavour, a good chicken dish and it goes well with some salsa, guacamole, coleslaw and soft tortillas.
- 1 large butterfly cut chicken
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 300 ml pineapple juice
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- white pepper
- Combine all mix all marinade ingredients then place in a Ziploc bag. Place chicken in the bag then seal and leave it on the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Drain chicken and reserve the marinade.
- Make your basting sauce by heating the marinade in a microwave and combining it with the butter.
- Set your oven to grill mode and place a rack on the lowest part of your oven, place chicken and grill at 180C for 50-60 minutes or until chicken is cooked. While grilling baste your chicken every 15 minutes with the basting sauce and turn it over.
- Once cooked serve it with tortillas, rice, coleslaw, salsa and guacamole.