Chopped Salad with Bacon and Fried Garbanzo Beans
My search for different salads had been successful so far and most of the ones I seen online and recreated never had disappointed me. Today we will be sharing something from the best green salad recipe list I got from Oprah, everything looks scrumptious just have a look at the list but to start I will be trying the chopped lettuce salad with fried garbanzo beans. It’s very good and quite different to me as I haven’t tried this combination yet but to give you an idea the fried garbanzo beans give a very good texture to the salad which is quite surprizing, the bacon and feta give a pleasant salty taste and the chilli powder gives it a nice kick you don’t expect from any salad.
The recipe below is adapted from the original, I just changed it slightly to the available ingredients to me at that time as well as infusing some flavours on other components.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, trimmed and sliced
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 5 slices streaky bacon
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes, halved
- 60 g feta cheese, cubed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- ranch dressing
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- In a bowl toss together garbanzo beans, cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place skillet over medium heat stove top then add ⅓ cup of olive oil, once oil is hot fry garbanzo beans until crispy. It will take roughly 7 minutes. Remove from the skillet then set aside.
- Discard oil from the skillet then fry bacon until crispy, let it cool then chop it into small pieces then set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Add and toss gently lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and feta.
- Transfer in a salad plate, drizzle some ranch dressing over the top then garnish with bacon and crispy fried garbanzo beans