Lemon square is a type of a dessert bar flavoured with lemon, dessert bars on the other hand is a type of a baked item having a texture between cake and a cookie. Usually this dessert items are prepared in a pan then baked in an oven, once cooked it is then sliced into squares or rectangles.
There are many different flavours for this dessert and the most popular ones are peanut butter bars, chocolate coconut bars, pineapple bars, apple bars, toffee bars, the “famous” seven-layer bar and this post the lemon squares. Though squares like such are defined as a baked dessert for today’s post we will be sharing a non-baked bar that uses digestive crackers instead of the usual flour.
- 200g digestive crackers
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 100g butter
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 40g butter, softened
- juice from 1 lemon
- In a sauce pan cook together condensed milk and butter in low heat for 5 minutes while continuously stirring.
- In a food processor place crackers and process until resembles fine crumbs.
- In a bowl combine together crumbs, desiccated coconut and 2 teaspoons lemon rind. Mix well then add the hot condensed milk and butter mixture, stir well to combine.
- Press crackers mixture in a non-stick or greased pan (6 in x 10 in) then refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- In a bowl combine icing sugar, butter and juice from 1 lemon, beat in slow speed until smooth.
- Spread icing on top of the pressed crackers then refrigerate for 30 more minutes until set.
- Top with lemon zest.