Tamarind is a widely used ingredient in South East Asian countries like the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. It is used in almost anything from soups and sauces, the sweet, sour and fruity taste gives a unique flavour in dishes like Sinigang, Pad Thai, Assam Laksa and Massaman Curry to name some. This ingredient can also be used in drinks and even sweets like this post, Sampalok candy. It’s a simple concoction of Tamarind and Sugar rolled into balls.
- 1 cup tamarind pulp
- 400g sweet potato, boiled
- 2 cups sugar + some for coating
- 2 cups water
- chilli flakes (optional, for Thai version)
- Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan except the salt, place over medium heat and cook until mixture becomes thick and can hold its shape when formed into balls.
- Cool down the mixture.
- Add sugar and a bit of salt in a wide plate.
- Form mixture into small balls and roll it into the sugar salt mixture.