Lomi is one of the many varieties of Filipino noodle dishes, it is made out of a very thick fresh egg noodles served in thick starchy gravy with crispy pork pieces, shrimps and vegetables, this dish probably had originated from the Chinese dish “Lor Mee” which is nearly similar in ingredients and preparation.
In Philippines, especially in Batangas this dish is nearly as popular as the Chicken Mami and is also rampantly sold in eateries (called Lomi haus or lomihan) and hawker stalls. Eating this dish is quite unique as well, tradition says that you need to consume the whole dish while it’s still piping hot and it should be all finished before it gets cold. Different sorts of add-on ingredients are also included when this noodle dish is consumed but it all depends on your preference, the popular ones are chillies, soy sauce / calamansi and fresh chopped red onions.
So do you think you have a though tongue to endure the heat? If yes well take the challenge and enjoy this dish straight from the pot!
- 500g Lomi or any thick egg Noodles
- 1½ cup pork belly, cubed into small pieces
- 10 pcs squid balls, cut in half
- 12 pcs medium sized prawns
- ¼ head cabbage shredded
- 1 pc large carrot, julienned
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- fish sauce
- Cook Lomi noodles according to packet instructions, once cooked, drain and rinse with tap water then set it aside.
- In a pot add small amount of oil then fry pork belly until golden brown. Remove from pot then set aside.
- Add garlic and shallots then sauté for 1 minute.
- Add and fry the squid balls.
- Add the soup stock then bring it to a boil.
- Add the shrimps and fried pork, simmer for additional 2 minutes
- Mix cornstarch on a small amount of water and pour in the pot simmer for 2 minutes
- Add the noodles, carrots and cabbage into the pot bring it again to a boil then add water if necessary, once boiling turn off the heat then add the eggs while continuously mixing.
- Season with pepper and fish sauce then serve.