What is the best way to celebrate 4th of July?
Celebrate it by serving an Iconic American dish the “Apple pie”, nothing gets American as this. I guess everyone would know what an Apple pie is but to further describe it, it is a fruit pie that uses Bramley or Granny Smith apples then often served with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
Though apple pie is believed to be American, this pie already existed since the 14th century in England. Initially the ingredients used are apples, spices, figs, raisins, pears and saffron. There was no sugar on the traditional recipe as sugar is so expensive during those days. The Dutch style apple pie (appeltaart or appelgebak) then emerged during the 17th century where ingredients such as cinnamon, lemon juice and sugar were introduced. The lattice style top was also popularized during this era. In the 18th century seeds were brought from England to America in the intention of growing apples in the region (apples are not native in American region), they waited for the trees to grow and bear fruits, first harvest came in and the American style apple was born, since then it became really popular in the region especially as a dessert.
A really good sweet pie that can be served hot or cold, with ice cream or whipped cream. I love mine cold with ice cream, how would you like yours? Are there any pairings for this pie that you can share, weird ones can be accepted, I know there is?
- 2 pcs flaky pastry sheets
- 8 pcs Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cream
- Mix all ingredients apart from the flaky pastry sheets together by hand until apples are evenly coated.
- Place crust into the bottom of a 9 in round baking pan, place filling on top mounding slightly then cover it with the remaining dough using a lattice pattern.
- Mix egg wash ingredients together then brush it on the pastry.
- Place in a 190C preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 170C then bake for additional 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool and stand for at least an hour before serving.