Like the Mongolian Barbecue don’t be fooled by its name thinking that this is a Mongolian dish, it’s totally not and it’s a product of American marketing making it sound exotic. Mongolian beef is a Chinese-American recipe where thinly sliced beef steaks are stir fried and coated with sweet spicy savoury sauce made out of hoisin, soy sauce and chillies it is then served with cellophane noodles or steamed rice.
- 500 beef sirloin, thinly slices
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp chilli garlic sauce
- Mix together sauce ingredients until smooth, set aside.
- Place wok in high heat then add oil once it’s hot enough add beef, ginger and garlic. Brown beef for 5 minutes then add spring onions.
- Add sauce mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, make sure sauce coats the beef. Turn heat off then serve.