Kaldereta or Caldereta is a Filipino dish that is made out of mutton, liver spread (similar to pate), cheese, capsicum, and chillies in a tomato based sauce. Though mutton is the primary choice of meat for this dish it is not restricted to it as beef and chicken can be used, the only difference is that muttons are used in special occasions and beef is for everyday home cooking. This recipe was inspired by the Spanish Caldereta which is a stew of fish or meat; it is where it got its name as well. The word Caldereta came from the word caldera or cauldron and it is the vessel where stews are cooked, in Philippines it is named as kaldero.
I guess this is the most popular hot and spicy stew in the Philippines, it is so popular every household have its own variation, some add carrots, some add cheese, others add green peas and potatoes but one thing remains the same it’s the beef or mutton cooked in a chilli infused tomato puree and liver spread. Traditional method uses beef or mutton neck bones or ribs as it give more flavour compared to other parts. A really good dish to start with if you want to learn and try Filipino recipes.
- 1 kg beef ribs, stewing beef or mutton, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 2 pcs medium potatoes, cubed and deep fried
- 1 large green capsicum, sliced
- 1 large can tomato puree
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp liver spread, liver pate or beef liver puree
- 2-4 red birds eye chillies, sliced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- black pepper
- On a pot, heat oil and sauté garlic until crispy golden brown. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Place onions on the pot and sauté until soft.
- Add beef / mutton and brown on all sides.
- Add beef stock and bay leaves, bring to a boil.
- Add the tomato puree and carrots then simmer for 1½ hour in very low heat or until meat is tender, add water if needed.
- Add liver spread then continue to simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Add tomato paste, bird’s eye chillies and capsicum then simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes then season with freshly ground pepper and salt. Top with the fried garlic then serve