Before I had featured a dish called Chicken, Lychees, Grapes and Pineapple Red Curry and it was something that we had tried in a restaurant called Tip Siam in Takapuna, we so liked their dishes and imitated several recipes at home as they were so delicious and highly recommended. For today we will be trying to make a dish called “Gang Ka Min Num Peung” or Chicken marinated with turmeric powder, potatoes, bananas, eggs and honey in coconut milk. Unlike the first dish we had featured this is a bit hard to make because our only hint was the ingredients listed on the menu we found online and though I remembered how it tasted I can’t remember them all and was a bit confused at the eggs. I cannot recall that there was an egg on the one we ordered so I asked my daughter and wife if there was an egg in the said dish, they said there’s none so I searched online and check whether there is a type of curry where egg is mixed in the sauce similar to how eggs are mixed in carbonara but there was none so definitely it must be included in the dish as hard boiled as there are several curry variant that include hard boiled eggs in the recipe. Another confusing part for me is that on the menu it says “Marinated on turmeric powder”, well I think that’s not enough to make curry so I opted to use the normal curry powder which contains an ample amount of turmeric anyway the taste is nearly similar to the Philippine chicken curry which uses the common curry powder.
Now what was the result? Well it tasted nearly the same but a bit sceptical whether we had used the same ingredients, anyway what’s important is that the result was as delicious as what we had tried. If you are intrigued about the taste well it’s a good combination of different flavours true to Thai cuisine, the creamy coconut milk over honey and hints of banana is a good base flavour for chicken, at first we were a bit hesitant when we ordered it but when we had our first spoon it was a magical combination of flavours.
- 700g chicken breast, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 4 pcs hard boiled eggs, cut in half
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 pcs large firm bananas, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- fish sauce or sea salt
- coconut oil
- In a bowl mix together chicken and curry powder, let it marinate in room temperature for 30 minutes
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and shallots, once shallots are soft add chicken and continue stir frying for 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and 2 cups of coconut milk bring it to a boil and simmer in medium heat for 15-20 minutes, at this stage the liquid should be thicker and reduced.
- Add remaining coconut milk, chillies, honey and banana then simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce then serve with halved eggs.