Hong Kong Style Fish Fillets in Corn Sauce

Hong Kong Style Fish Fillets in Corn Sauce

When I was working in Hong Kong if we are not having yam cha or roast duck for lunch we usually call for order and the typical lunch orders are choices of Beef, Chicken, Pork or Fish Fillet served in either Tomato Sauce Base, Black Pepper Sauce and Corn Sauce topped in a hefty serving of rice.  I tried all of those combination and they are all good hence I am sharing you that experience through this recipe and what I am posting for today is one of those combination and it is Fish Fillets in Corn Sauce.  A quick and easy recipe to make, trust me the effort to satisfaction ratio for this dish is high.

Hong Kong Style Fish Fillets in Corn Sauce

Serves: 4
Fish
  • 600g fish fillet (best to use is fleshy white fish, I used monk fish)
  • 1 cup flour
  • ½ cup cornstarch
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • oil for deep frying
Corn Sauce
  • 1½ cups corn kernels, best to use fresh ones
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • salt
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • spring onions, chopped
Corn
  1. In a sauce pan combine together corn, chicken stock and sugar.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, if using fresh corn simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. Mix water and cornstarch together then pour into the sauce pan.  Simmer until sauce thickens
  3. Slowly pour beaten egg into the sauce pan while lightly stirring to form strands.
  4. Add sesame oil then season with salt.
Fish
  1. Prepare a deep fryer or wok with enough oil for deep frying.
  2. Season fish fillets with salt and pepper. Set it aside.
  3. Place and mix together flour and cornstarch in a bowl with cover set aside.
  4. Place beaten eggs in a shallow dish then dip fish fillets one at a time.
  5. Place fish fillets inside the bowl with flour mix one or two at a time then cover and shake to coat fish evenly.
  6. Deep fry fish until cooked then place in a paper lined towel to remove excess oil.
  7. Pour corn sauce on top then garnish with spring onions then serve.

1. Hi Raymund, I’ve never heard of this dish but I like the idea a lot. The family likes lightly battered fish and they LOVE corn. I should try this!

2. Raymund, your dishes are always so beautifully presented and you have so many wonderful recipes that I want to try.
    🙂 Mandy

3. Jenny says:

I have to say that looks delicious.

4. nors says:

As always raymund…… Ang tsaaalllaaappp!!!

5. Vivianne Meliton says:

This sounds good….I love fried fish and this recipe that pairs it with ” corn sauce ” sounds ” TASTY” 🙂 ….I will make this…Thanks for sharing.

I love a good fried fish and this corn sauce sounds fabulous!!!

7. Wow.. your recipes are always so fantastic.. I love recipes with that sort of ratio.. keep them coming!!

8. Ashley - Baker by Nature says:

Fried fish is a staple in my life – and I think I could actually pull this recipe off without setting my kitchen on fire! SCORE!

9. Eha says:

I have never made a sauce similar and find the idea very attractive! Personally I do not generally fry food, but can imagine this with fish grilled or even steamed also . . .

10. Mmm that corn sauce looks really versatile too!

11. anita triana says:

your recipes are always interesting and delicious, I love it, thanks for sharing

12. How super. Thanks for the recipe and now I don’t have to go out to eat this dish. As you know from living in HK I can say they are nuts about their corn. They have it in their bread, their desserts and even on top of their pizza’s. Really! Take care, BAM

13. Ahh.. I remember the lunchbox’s well. Usually when I got fed up of Oliver’s Super Sandwiches! Never tried to make them at home though, maybe I could follow your recipe and see …. Cath

14. I’ve had a hankering (Missouri talk for want some badly) for fish lately, this sounds tasty. 🙂

15. Wow nagtrabaho ka pala dito 😀 tamang tama, was loking for new “fish” recipes! 😀 Salamat!

16. Kiran says:

I love deep fried fish, slathered with delicious asian sauce 🙂

I love these types of Hong Kong style dishes.

Oooh – I bet I could get my husband to eat this. I love sweet corn sauces and it seems like the perfect match with a piece of fried fish.

• Justine says:

This is the recipe I was looking for. But it seems you forgot to include the egg in your instructions. Do I mix the egg with the flour mixture to form a batter? Hope to hear from you soon because i plan to cook this for family dinner tomorrow. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe.

1. October 4, 2012

[…] I had posted one of the popular office lunch box meals in Hong Kong called Hong Kong Style Fish Fillets in Corn Sauce,  I nearly ordered that everyday when I worked there but if that not my choice this was my other […]