Sausage Rolls

Sausage roll is a type of savoury pastry very popular here in New Zealand as well as Australia. Basically it is sausage meat wrapped in puff pastry then baked until golden brown.  Its origin is most probably British but a lot can debate that it might be the Greeks or Romans as there is no account of its origins up to this date.  The main components though have definitely originated from different places like the puff pastry from the French and sausages from different parts of Europe.  It was just the British who popularized wrapping the sausage meat onto a puff pastry.  Then at some point British settlers in Australia and New Zealand had brought the recipe with them and the rest was history.

This is nearly as popular as savoury pies in this part of the globe as you can see them everywhere from takeaways, petrol stations or even dairy shops.  It is even popularly served on occasions like parties and get together.  A really simple dish to prepare especially if you use the ready-made pastry you can buy on supermarkets, then all you need is a good sausage and you’re good to go.

Sausage Rolls

• 400g good sausage meat
  • 1 large white onion, finely chopped
  • handful parsley, chopped
  • ready-rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • bread crumbs
  • freshly ground black pepper
  1. Place sausage meat in mixing bowl then combine together with parsley, onion and freshly ground black pepper.
  2. Unroll puff pastry and place an amount of sausage mixture in the middle of the pastry. Tightly roll the pastry around the meat mixture then seal the ends.
  3. Brush top with beaten eggs.
  4. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to chill, this makes it easier to individually slice.
  5. Slice into 1 inch pieces and bake in a 200C pre heated oven for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.

1. My boys would be going back for seconds and thirds of this appetizer. Actually it would not last long enough to get to the serving table… Take care, BAM

2. nors says:

Bro,,,,, pang columbus ang recipe mo ha….kulang lang ng mix herbs… Hehhe

3. I haven’t had a sausage roll in ages, but now that you’ve mentioned them I’m having an instant craving! Just look at those rolls!

4. kiwidutch says:

I’m being good as I try and loose a few kgs built up though inactivity but this is tempting indeed… I have a good sausage roll recipe but when I want to make them again I might try this one and see how it compares. (From memory my recipe has more herbs in it ).

5. I love mini sausage rolls.
    🙂 Mandy

6. Karen says:

Your sausage rolls look like they would be very addictive.

7. This looks like a fantastic appetizer! Yummy!

8. My husband is an Aussie and we haven’t found a good sausage roll recipe. We make our own pies, so thanks for adding this to our repertoire!

I remember these from our New Zealand adventure. Delicious!

10. kitchenriffs says:

Here in the US pigs in a blanket (little wieners) are the most common way to roll meat in pastry. I like your version better – more choices, and a lot more flavor. Good stuff – thanks.

11. Purely.. Kay says:

These sausage rolls make me so happy just by looking at them :). I have to make me some

12. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Oh this is a nice snack and party finger foods especially for kids! I love the use of puff pastry! Since you make mini sizes, I can’t help eating one after another. 🙂

13. These will just disappear as soon as they will come on the table…
    PERFECT!!!

14. Sounds easy enough! Not sure why I don’t make this more often for my kids! This is a good lunch nibbles to pack school-aged children. Thanks for the idea!

15. This would make a wonderful appetizer! Have not had a sausage roll in ages.

16. Janine says:

these look awesome, and i’m glad i popped by because these would be a great addition for my friend’s potluck housewarming!

These little sausage bites would go really, really fast in this house!

18. Marianne says:

OOHHH sausage rolls – now there´s something I haven´t had for years. These look pretty easy to make – especially with frozen puff pastry. Thanks for the idea 🙂

19. GarlicRose says:

First time I had these in England I had to have them with soy sauce….asian it up a bit!

Sausage rolls are part of growing up in Australia and I would think New Zealand too. Mmmm…I feel like one now, followed by a meat pie.

It reminds me of pigs in a blanket, but better. I like the idea of being able to season it to your taste versus just using premade cocktail weenies.

1. December 20, 2012

[…] receita original […]

2. May 14, 2013

[…] When you cook or even bake a lot sometimes you would have accumulated a lot of excess ingredients and sometimes you are wondering what you would do with all this unused or leftover items. For me I treat it is as a time to get creative otherwise these ingredients will be all wasted, so for today we will be doing some freestyle made out of all leftover ingredients and readily available in my pantry. I will call this dish the Apple, Walnut and Sultana Logs which is inspired by the savoury sausage rolls. […]

3. March 22, 2016

[…] make something spectacular for New Zealand, I had made a couple before but one of them is just the classic sausage rolls and another one with a Filipino twist hence they are not up to speed with my goal of making this […]