Chicken Macaroni Salad
It’s that time of the month again where World in a Plate members share a themed dish and for this month it will be pasta and rice salads. This theme will be hard for me as I barely know recipes for pasta or rice salads due to the fact that in the Filipino culture we use those two ingredients more for mains rather than in a salad.
You might even get a weird look when you serve a rice salad to the common Filipino. But there is this one and only salad in the Filipino cuisine (that I know of and remember) which uses pasta in a salad thanks to the American’s who introduced this and popularized by KFC in the Philippines, the macaroni salad.
Macaroni Salad is one of the common salads that is usually accompanied together with roast, barbecued or even fried meats, it usually served cold and made with elbow macaroni pasta dressed with mayonnaise. Other ingredients such as flaked chicken or tuna, carrots, celery, raisins, cheese and pineapple are used. I would recommend paring it with something spicy and hot as the creaminess of this salad balances out the flavours both dishes.
- 300 g macaroni noodles (adjust according to your liking)
- 1 pc large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken meat, flaked
- 500 ml American style mayonnaise
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 hardboiled eggs, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, diced
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tsp sugar
- ground white pepper
- Cook macaroni noodles according to instructions. Drain then set aside.
- Using a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate before serving.